Saturday, March 26, 2016

My Birthday Wish

The only thing I wanted for my Birthday, well the only thing I wanted and could control, was a decent hike with the kiddos.

I may have overshot my expectations. I failed to look at the trail, the kids, and Pi and how they would combine together as a whole.

My biggest failure, to be honest was picking Cache Creek. I decided on this trail because it was groomed. Because Pi could be off leash, because I wanted it to be easy. I failed to take into account that all the residents of Jackson Hole had the same plans.

So I gave up Cache Creek less than a mile in. Yes I was disappointed, in myself for not thinking through my decision.

Sunday, take two.

No people, no trail. No expectations. This time I asked the kids where they wanted to go. I told them that we were hiking today. That was my choice. Where to go was there's. They all asked if we could "go back to the hill in Kelly where Lucy lost her phone."

It's the hill that is on the opposite side of Kelly Warm springs. So that's where we went. And we hiked. No trail, no expectations. And it was perfect. I set a timer  for 90 minutes and we just wandered through the snow. We hit a trail for a while but Lucy turns into a very grouchy beast when forced to take anyone's path not her own so that didn't last long.

So I turned 30. I learned to asses the situation. To lead by example. To give all participants a voice and opportunity to be heard. To adapt and overcome obstacles as they are presented. I turned 30 and decided to be a grown up. Let's see how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment