Saturday, March 26, 2016

A Five Moose Morning

Spring, as usual, has been playing a nasty game of hide and seek here in Jackson. March was looking to be very promising and has gone down hill steadily sense it rang in this month bright and shiny and full of false hope.

Any who. March 13, it was a Sunday, snow was flirting with Jackson and in my annoyance I drove to spring. Dubois, Wyoming. You can tell it's going to be a good day when Five, Count them 5, moose greet your decision.

So Dubois. I didn't know where to Hike so I logged on to my All Trails App and picked a few. The first two were back behind me. The third was up a road called Horsecreek. It wound back and through some sunny hills, of course the trail head I was looking for was down a snowed in road. Again. So I kept driving. I eventually found a spot to park that had a "no unauthorized motor vehicles" forest service sign. You know how I like those.

I parked and Pi and I headed up the road, shortly we encountered the fence that kept those motorized vehicles at bay. Yippie. The road was a nice easy path, we came across an old coral along the path.

Eventually we dead ended into private property and my annoyance skyrocketed. So I took a left. Up the hill and skirted the fence that barred me from disturbing so delicate possessions as the snow and wind that were so safe inside that fence.

There were a few game trails that we sporadically followed, but mostly we just followed were My heart desired. Up a few hills. Around and away from that blasted fence.

I have no idea how far we went, but we hiked for around two and a half hours or so until we dead ended on a ridge line that was a rock fin a bit to icy and steep for Pi, and by default myself as well.

We had our lunch on the fin before we headed back. We had no trail so we followed a different approach back but hit the same hill tops. A very enjoyable surprise found me speaking with a dear friend on one of these hill tops, Pi occupied himself chewing on the remnants of an young elks leg.

After my call, We found the fence and stayed on the ridge line above it well past the protective border that encased it's tender private property. We found a new route down to the road. Just as we started back the road to the car it started to snow. So much for a Spring Hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment